After a long, cold, and likely snowy commute home, all I want is a warm and comforting meal. The solution is simple: fight the chilly with some chili!
Why Have You Done a Good Thing?
Chili is the perfect winter dinner for so many reasons…
- It’s hot- perfect to sooth your soul and keep you warm
- It’s healthy- a plethora of vegetables and lean proteins, plus some heart-healthy EVOO, vitamins/minerals, and plenty of fiber
- It’s quick & easy- just chop, and put in the pot
- It’s cooking in bulk- 1 pot will last you for a while! Just put in individually wrapped zip-top containers and store in the freezer up to 3 months.
What can you put in chili?
Anything but the kitchen sink! This is the perfect opportunity to clean out your fridge: put all stray vegetables, beans, and ground meat in a pot and, woo-lah: you’ve made chili
I like to make turkey-bean-corn chili…check it out!
Ok, so I know this looks like a lot, but don’t fret- it’s SO simple, I promise.
1. Heat some olive oil in a large pot over medium-high
2. Chop all the fresh veggies and add them to the pot, put in bay leaf and salt.
3. Add turkey meat and cook for a few minutes
4. Add spices, then tomatoes, then beans, corn, and chicken stock; stir.
5. Put lid on and simmer on low for at least 30 min up to 2 hours.
*Remove bay leaf before serving and add hot sauce as desired
Stay WARM while enjoying the CHILI!!!--Samantha Jacobs, RD